Tuesday, June 25, 2013

my baby brother's high school graduation

 photo IMG_4102_zps212e20c9.jpg  photo IMG_4093_zps13b494da.jpg  photo IMG_4095_zps22891c98.jpg  photo IMG_4100_zpscf827297.jpg  photo IMG_4101_zpsb5fe3f9f.jpg  photo IMG_4105_zps9be27a62.jpg  photo 4d077898-fa2c-41a1-8edc-797d5feb6338_zps7a91519e.jpg

A couple of weeks ago we piled into the car and drove up to Carson City for my brother's high school graduation. I am so proud of my little brother for finishing his senior year strong and making some good plans for his summer and school in the fall!

There seems to be some negativity out there in the world regarding the significance of graduating from high school, but what an exciting time of life! Graduating from childhood into adulthood. So many hopes and ambitions and dreams yet to be tainted by the world. My hope for my brother is that he dreams great dreams and imagines amazing things that he can accomplish in his life. I hope that he pursues those dreams without allowing himself to become jaded by the world. 

My brother is 10 years younger than me, so his graduation has led to a great deal of reflection as it has forced me to realize that I was in his position 10 years ago. I wish that my newly graduated self would have written a letter to my 10 years later self. At that time, my goal was to become a Pulitzer prize winning journalist, covering stories in war zones related dangerous beats. I was even looking into learning Farsi because the war had just started in the Middle East, and covering that was my dream job. I don't really remember thinking about whether I'd be married with children at this point in my life. I just remembered that I wanted adventure. I wanted to make a difference in the world. Life has taken some interesting and unpredictable turns over the last 10 years to get me to where I am at this moment. I'm looking forward to seeing where the next 10 years take me.

Sometimes I feel like I've spent a lot of time spinning my wheels. What am I doing with my life? I mean, I love my life right now, but am I making any sort of difference in the world? How timely that my Bible study group just started going through a book called She Did What She Could. Maybe my part in changing the world will be smaller than I imagined it would be ten years ago, but I can still make a difference.

I think I'll sit down and write a letter to my 10 years from now self...

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
 "Establishing goals is all right if you don't let them deprive you of interesting detours." (Doug Larson) 

 "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11)

No comments: