Wednesday, January 2, 2013

2013

2013-01-01LetsDoThis_zps64150d46
source: t/f

I have to admit that I was not at all sad to say goodbye to 2012. While there were some definite highlights and I feel that I made some progress on my 2012 resolutions, I feel like I let myself down in some ways. I spent a lot of time feeling completely inadequate. I let a lot of items sit around on my to do list, and I didn't push myself. At all. It was just a stagnant year for me in a lot of ways.

Don't get me wrong--2012 was not a bad year. It was the year of friendship. After living in Southern California for 2 years I finally made some friends. I reached out and spent some time outside of the office with some girls from work which has been wonderful. I also finally joined a small group/Bible study in our church which has just been amazing. I can really see God's hand in placing me in just the right group at just the right time. I have also re-connected with some friends from the past who live in the area. In that regard, 2012 was a great year.

Justin and I also did a little bit of traveling--we spent our anniversary weekend out in Palm Springs, and we spent a week up in Seattle where we crossed one more baseball stadium off of our list and had a wonderfully refreshing week together away from "real life."

New Year's Day might just be my favorite holiday. I love the clean slate. I love the retrospect and introspect. I love the planning. I love the hope.

I've been spending quite a bit of time thinking about my goals for the year. I am keeping all of my goals from last year and simply adding a couple of things to it.
  1. Be more joyful. A couple of weeks ago, one of our teaching pastors spoke on joy, challenging us to make 2013 the year of joy. I am so good at focusing on where I am lacking instead of thanking God for all that He has given me. Shouldn't I be one of the most joyful people out there, a light in the darkness? I remember my mom once referring to my sister as a little sunbeam in a room. I want to be like that.
  2. Be a good steward. This been on my mind a lot lately. I want to be a good steward of all that we have. Our finances, our home, our vehicles, my body, my mind, my time, my relationships. Instead of wanting more, I want to take good care of what I have.
  3. Push myself. I want to push myself creatively, intellectually, physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually. I am not satisfied with the status quo in my life--I want to push myself to be all that I can be in every area of my life. I want to be constantly learning and growing and challenging myself. 
  4. Be a woman of action. I need to make Nike's motto my own personal mantra: Just Do It. Make things happen. Get things done. 
  5. Spend with meaning. I am so tired of getting rid of things. I love getting rid of things, but I don't want to have so many things to get rid of--quality over quantity. This year, one of my spending priorities is for our home. I really just want to pull our house together so that I can focus energies elsewhere. Last year I set up a little spreadsheet to track all of our spending. This year's version is even better, and I am excited to reduce our spending, save more, and get a financial plan.
  6. Be more gracious. I definitely made some improvement on this in 2012. But, it is definitely an area that will probably be on this list for the rest of my life. 
  7. Be more giving. This is another area where I made some improvement in 2012. And it is definitely another area  that will probably be on this list for the rest of my life. I still haven't found a place to volunteer my time which really disappoints me. That is going to change this year. 
  8. Streamline and declutter. My life, my home, and my body. I want to get rid of the things in my schedule that don't really matter to me  so that I have time for the things that do matter. I want to have only things that we "know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" (William Morris). I want to eat cleaner and get rid of the extra weight on my body. Basically, this resolution is all about prioritizing.
  9. Live greener. Use less energy, create less waste. My biggest priority again this year is to waste less food. We did a decent job of this last year, but there is definitely room for improvement. Last year we started participating in a local CSA program which has been great--I look forward to continuing that in 2013. Since we only get a CSA box every other week, I want to do a better job of shopping at the local farmer's market on the off weeks. I'm also going to monitor our energy and water bills to work toward reducing those usages as much as possible.
I believe that 2013 is going to be a great year.

What are your goals for the new year?

2 comments:

Faith Premo said...

These goals are inspired! I want them for my own. You are such a blessing.

Rachel Angevine said...

Thanks, Mom!