Wednesday, June 20, 2012

baking powder biscuits

IMG_3120 IMG_3125

Happy Summer Solstice! Since it's the official start of summer, I thought that I would share this recipe from my Grandma Steele. I probably call my mom to get at least once a year, so I thought I should post it here so that I don't have to bug her or my sister anymore. 

These baking powder biscuits can be used for many things from chicken pot pies to my personal favorite: strawberry shortcake. You can adjust the sugar in the recipe depending upon what you're using them for or your personal taste.

Baking Powder Biscuits
Makes 12 biscuits

2 c. flour (I use whole wheat flour and they turn out fine)
3 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
2-4 T. sugar
6-8 T. butter
2/3 c. milk

Preheat oven to 375. Lightly grease a baking sheet. Cream butter and sugar in an electric mixer. Slowly add the remaining ingredients and mix until well combined. Drop mixture onto baking sheet and shape as desired. I like mine to look a little bit rustic since that's how my mom always made them while I was growing up. Bake for about 12 minutes or until slightly golden on the top. Allow to cool on a cooling rack.

No comments: