Thursday, February 9, 2012

the "junk" drawer

Photobucket
Before
Photobucket
The tools

Photobucket
Everything out on the counter. I cannot even believe that all of this fit into that drawer!

Photobucket
Ahh...much better...
I missed last week's William Morris Project post, but don't worry--I haven't fallen off the wagon. Yet. This week I organized the "junk" drawer in our kitchen. It is right below where I painted the chalkboard paint a few weeks ago--a very convenient place to put things that don't really have a place to go.

I've always considered myself a relatively organized person, but all of these projects are making me feel exactly the opposite. How do things get so out of control? Seriously, this project was bumped up on my priority list because we could no longer close the drawer without taking things out...

Now, only the things that get used in the kitchen are in the drawer. I put away, threw away, or added everything else to our brimming Goodwill boxes. Now we can actually find things in here. I hate wasting time looking for things!

I'm so glad that this project is finally out of the way--now I can start thinking about my next project!

11 comments:

That's Ms. Amy to You... said...

So simple, but so refreshing, isn't it? It's clearing out a tiny corner of your brain - you don't have to let it bug you anymore. I felt the same way after I bought an organizer for my kitchen tools drawer.

Alana in Canada said...

ell done! I love your clear organizers, too.
I have a draer similar to this. I'm avoiding it....

Alice Almighty said...

Wow! The junk drawer. I have two....{cringe} Nicely done. Those little boxes are the best aren't they?

Carrie said...

Sometimes it's the smallest projects that make the biggest difference. I'm pretty sure that by the time we're all done with the WMP, our houses are going to be 100% better in every nook and cranny, not just the ones that people can see. Not only that, but the local Goodwill's will be wondering what's up with the influx of donations! ;-) Well done!

May said...

No glamour in jobs like this, but the pay off is amazing. Just feels so good.

Melissa@Home Baked said...

Love the little boxes--where did you get them? Nice how you can configure them exactly to fit the contents of your drawer!

Rachel Angevine said...

Thank you, everyone! I am enjoying the (slow) progress toward having a completely organized home, as I'm sure all of you are!

@Melissa--I bought the drawer organizers at The Container Store, but Bed Bath & Beyond also carries them.

pamelotta said...

Those clear boxes are so fresh and simple. Love it! I'm finding that with 4 kids and all the stuff that comes flying off of them when they come in the house, I need to clean out my junk drawer every few months.

But it feels good every time I get it done!

Monica said...

You will feel so accomplished every time you open it. Nice containers!

Bumblebee and Sophie said...

My "junk" drawer is always in need of organization, even though I have little organizers...kind of like the laundry, and groceries...you get it all done, and have to do it all over again...

Jules said...

Do you sometimes open the drawer just to look at your hard work? I do that ALL the time. Big pats on the back!!