Monday, November 28, 2011

thanksgiving

Photobucket
The table
Photobucket
Rustic flowers + birch bark candles
Photobucket
My turkey's before shot
Photobucket
And the after shot. We were so hungry we forgot to take a picture before we cut it!
Photobucket
The spread
Photobucket
Brussel sprouts with bacon and apples
Photobucket
Maple whipped sweet potatoes
Photobucket
Shelley's yummy stuffing (made with bread from Porto's!)
Photobucket
Shelley's pumpkin pie
Photobucket
And all of her mini pies!
Well, our first holiday as the hosts was a success! The food all turned out really well--everyone enjoyed almost everything (or maybe everyone was just really hungry...). The brussel sprouts were amazing. The cornbread casserole was a favorite. The turkey was perfect. The potatoes with walnut-blue cheese butter were a big hit. The stuffing and pies were delicious! I wasn't impressed with the maple whipped sweet potatoes (Martha, that's the first time you've let me down), so I'll be trying a new recipe if that dish falls on me next year.

Before we host another family holiday, I would really like to get a square or rectangular dining table with leaves. The table situation bothered me immensely. We should also get some more silverware, serving utensils, and napkins!

All in all, it was a great Thanksgiving. I was able to enjoy my little traditions of watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and then watching Miracle on 34th Street. I missed sharing these traditions with my family, but I'm so thankful that we had the opportunity to host at least part of our family in our home this year.

I hope that you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving filled with time spent with family while enjoying a great meal.

2 comments:

Faith Premo said...

Your Thanksgiving looks lovely and I'm very proud of you for putting together your first Thanksgiving celebration. Ours was nice too except there was only one thing missing...

Rachel Angevine said...

Thanks for all of your help and input, Mom. I couldn't have pulled it off without you. I wish you guys could have been there--I was really missing all of you.