Monday, September 26, 2011

justin's surprise party

Photobucket
Justin and Charlie getting food/watching football game
Photobucket
The spread--thank you so much to my mother and mother-in-law for all of their input and advice!
Photobucket
Charlie and Chris
Photobucket
I made a balloon garland (like the one from my inspiration post!) and added some twinkle lights
Photobucket
Watching the game/talking about the game
Photobucket
Phil and Jon
Photobucket
So true
Saturday night I threw a surprise party to celebrate Justin's 30th Birthday! It was so great because he had no idea and was totally surprised! He didn't want to have a party, but I couldn't just let such a big birthday just slide. So, to make sure that he would have fun, I kept everything really low-key by hosting a barbecue at our house for a small group of his friends and family. Justin was surprised, everyone had fun, and we didn't run out of food or beer, so I am considering this party a success!


I had so much fun planning this and putting it together especially since it was the first party that we were hosting at our condo! I was nervous about cooking for a group of guys who were all college athletes because I had no idea how much they would eat. I ended up making 3 tri-tips, 3 whole chickens, 1 pound of shrimp, and 2 packages of chicken sausages. Justin's mom helped me out and brought a huge platter of yummy roasted vegetables and some hummus and flatbread which the guys devoured. I prepared the tri-tip authentic Santa Maria style, and I made 3 different kinds of chicken: lemon and oregano, teriyaki, and barbecue. I will try to post the recipes soon! Justin doesn't really like or eat cake (I know, I know!), so for dessert I made brownies and some microwave caramel corn. Justin's 4 year old cousin came to the party and was very confused by the desserts--he told Justin's mom that he had never been to a birthday party without a birthday cake.

It's always fun for me to see Justin hanging out with all of his friends (most of them live at least an hour away, so we don't see any of them as often as we should). They're mostly guys that Justin played baseball with at Biola and most of them lived together during that time. They're all in the same fantasy baseball and football leagues so when they get together it's non-stop sports talk. I need to start having more parties just so that they can all see each other more often.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

Wow - that is a lot of food!

Rachel Premo Angevine said...

It was definitely too much food! Next time I will make less--I was just so worried about running out of food!

Faith Premo said...

Looks like the party was success! I love the balloon garland. Were you happy with the way it turned out? So glad your hubby was genuinely and happily suprised!

Rachel Premo Angevine said...

I was happy with the way the baloon garland turned out. It looked really pretty at night with the soft glow of the twinkle lights. I ended up wishing that I had gone with red and blue since the Red Sox had played the Yankees earlier in the day...Oh well...