Tuesday, September 20, 2011

chocolate coconut cupcakes


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

When my sisters were down visiting we made these yummy cupcakes. I wanted to make a cupcake inspired by the Mocha Coconut Frappuccinos that Starbucks featured over the summer. I used this Ina Garten chocolate cake recipe. Jackie made the frosting using this buttercream recipe from Martha Stewart. She just added coconut extract until it tasted coconut-y enough for us. The frosting was quite sweet, so Jackie came up with the idea to toast some coconut (I just put some coconut on a cookie sheet with some cinnamon and baked it at 400 until it was toasty) for a topping. The toasted coconut added some pretty texture to the cupcakes and cut the sweetness perfectly.

I miss my sisters.

2 comments:

Faith Premo said...

Those look yummy! The cake is so dark, it must have been good. Do you reccommend the ina garten recipe?

Rachel Premo Angevine said...

They were so good thanks to Jackie's advice to add the toasted coconut flakes. I like this recipe from Ina, but I'm not sure I love it. I have used it twice now, though...